Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The parable of Seed

"Knowing where to go is one thing, getting there is another."

Who is the smart aleck came up this inhumanly wisdom? Honestly, I like it. You want to be rich, have you give much thought how to realize your goal?  
You want your system to sound good, have you give much thought getting there?

"The power of dream." says Honda san.
"We listen." says Mr Prudential.
"Only the music" continues Mr dCS.
"Malaysia Boleh! (Yes, you can)" says proud Malaysian.
"Das audio, he he!" says the German.
"Aiyoh! Just do it." says Nike.

Many embark on audio due to peer pressure. This is a big mistake. My advice to them is convert audio to home theatre system so that the whole family members can enjoy some quality family time. Most in this group are not audio inclined, with third party's sick advice, you get horrible results. They tend to think that money can solve everything. More than that, without passion to fuel this hobby, the day of audio is numbered.
 
Music is the soul, audioing is the mean to playback recorded music. This is sustainable passion. Without the love in music, one is as if a domestic mastering engineer playing the boring technical tracks. Doesn't that mirror some folks out there? These guys are easily recognisable, just peep into their music collection. A collection of technical tracks, audiophile approved CDs and probably a few common music. If I may use biblical parable, they are like seeds fall on rocky soil, super excited at the beginning,  passion wears by the days and eventually give up audio. The day will come they look at their stack of expensive toys and sigh "Why no one stop me...?". My cook friend wanted to sell everything and restart again.

Music never dies. Can you imagine getting into your car without music? Call it psychoacoustic, without music is utterly boring. Some are too dependent on others to tune the sound for nobody own good, one man's meat is another man's poison. End of the day, little passing of audioing knowledge.

Worst of the lot,  their mouth stinks like a polecat, no oral prescription can get rid of the bad odour. Nothing ever good come out from their mouth. My O my, their system don't sound as great as what they have projected. Zero creditability and integrity. What's a joke! Grow up.

Bashing seems to be their nature.  I have heard the harshest comment behind the host's back. I think it is only right if one factor in  real world parameters like room size, money value, music staple into your audio assessment. Hey hey hey, I know what you guys are thinking. I did not in any way telling you guys my system rock!!! Above average at best, ok.

With that being said, I re-auditioned a system that I auditioned a year ago. I was pleasantly surprised how full the sound gets, the bass driver has opened up beautifully. The sound was not recognisable if I was blind folded. Because the fullness of sound, the highs was no longer attention grabbing that lend me to think the resolving highs is buried. Careful listening reveals that the resolving highs was there when called upon. If those are in my hands, I would toe them in to enjoy 15 degree off axis response, stronger response from the tweeters. Although flat response is the name of the game, I still prefer a rise of one to two dB above 15kHz. This gives presence, immediacy and better edge delineation. The system nevertheless sounded respectable in many regards.

Over here, it is a standard protocol that the host entertain the social tea/coffee session if there is any, not a big cost that would default your loan repayment. If lunch or dinner, every group member fork out money to share out the bills. Yet, they are some so thick skinned expecting the host to pay everything. Group breaks up because the same fool always get to pay the bills.

These people, I keep watchful eyes for they take friend for a ride. Like a vulture, they always looking to take advantage of you. Sincerity is the recipe for long lasting friendship. Money is not everything. When you get old, friends become your the greatest asset. If I wanted to do good, I donate to charity.

Puccini Wrong and his buddy grilled me yesterday. There was no escape after hopping in his car. Two against one, not fair. Story  begins with a friend wanted to borrow my passive pre that I am a lousy guy for not lending my passive pre to a follower. I was reluctant to because there was a great deal effort to place where it is, getting my fat hands there is hard due to space constraint. One started to hit me that he would loan dCS Puccini while the other join in with his Burmester Mark IV and gieve the strangest stare at me, "You lend?". Giant stone on a crab, am I to succumb to pressure? In monetary term, my pre is peanut, but it is very precious to me in a way. It marks my audio milestone, performance/value is a bang! Boy! I love my passive pre, simple, pure, transparent and no tonal editing.

I am compelled to tell you folks that the banker has been offered to post a review. Writing sharpens your mind, brush up your langauge and increase social network/asset. The banker too, has a distinct style of writing, not bore to death type of writing like reading a financial report.  He is right next to the successfully run Taiwanese audio mag - Audionet.  The banker is to be considered the Malaysian Audionet's chief editor Mr Lau Han Seng. God, I am eager to see his post.

Rather than being a dull and dutiful father of three lovely daughters, the banker is tirelessly audioing. He has a super excited disposition, could jump for joy for weeks and he started out 2013 with a bang. Unstoppable, he has just add a new pre and a new sub into his rigs, he says these are present to himself. His wife asked how much the sub costs? A little white lie would not hurt, 700RM. Get out of here. Just google and search, the truth will reveal. Smart wive would just leave it as it is. Rumours have it the banker sleeps with his gears. Golfholics, fishingholics, audioholics, bike-holics, hash-holics etc, I guess that's how desperate housewives come about.

The banker is foreign to sub and currently making the sub to work hard. So hard, that the neighbours showed up at door front complaining about shaking ceiling and moving table. Not a nice feeling receiving complaints if you asked me.   It amazed me those work in telco customer service, believe it or not, those guys take more than 1000 calls per day! It did not tke long to realize the rattling of his plaster ceiling.

Hard to imagine people has no hobby but money making. A friend of mine works 365, can you imagine that? This guy is loaded, he has enough for two generations. Money excites him I guess but he is so dead!

 

No comments: