Monday, April 6, 2020

Ground box

Ground boxes are not made the same, full stop. You can imagine these guys' tireless trial and error to get the product right. The quantity, the composition, the size and type of minerals, precisely, these are the formula. Many argue its effectiveness, may your argument stays in your head, everything will be answered if you just try one in your system. Listening is believing. Let the sound convince you. And I'm not going to lie that ground box is essential, for me of course, especially if you can't afford power conditioners.

We expect a cleaner background with ground boxes, busting electrical buzzing. Naturally, improved articulation is at sight. I never expect it as a tone control. Oh! Before I forgot, always buy the biggest ground box, the cost is well justified. This conclusion is drawn after repetitive with and without the ground box. I like what it does to the sound. Until I came across a guy in a forum, his scrupulous works on his ground box caught me attention. Well, what's the heck! I thought I give it a try since it's not expensive. There I was, I didn't wait long to have my hand on it. 4 days later the ground box is at my door, the Chinese efficiency by any standard is admirable. The world has every reason to worry about China's productivity, at the height of capitalism. Efficient use of resources.

A new ground box in hand, without any delay, I replaced the old ground box right at the same spot for a direct comparison. Holy Mackerel! I can't believe what I've heard. So good that my impetuousness urged me to get another one, quick-quick! Even at the height of the coronavirus pandemic in China, the city was in lockdown, people weren't allowed to work, the supply chain was broken, in spite all the hurdles, he shipped his last unit out to me. Let no one escape, I got ground boxes to serve each of them. Perfect.

If you're still reading up to now, you will know that I like my new ground box by a wide margin. Warmth, I didn't see it coming. Where the hell it comes from? Entreq explains that our grounding couldn't get rid of home appliances' high-frequency noise and stay voltages. Our grounding is overloaded or not constructed to handle these millivolt currents of very high frequencies effectively. Instead, they flow around in our system. These stay voltages often generate very large magnetic fields that pollute the sound.

Even at the distribution box, the best result comes from the front end. I arrived at an optimal result with a respective new ground box at cd player and buffer, the old one to the amp. Believe me, I've tried them at all different places. Pinch me if I feel pain, I'm not in a delusion. The first impression of intuition never goes wrong. The mids sounded so good. Voices have a human quality, emotive, reaching deeper into the heart. While I don't deny that it's a colouration, the voices have that a little more "tangibility", more presence. For all you know, I have no penchant for hi-fi-ish sound, cold, super-extended and rather emotionless, I want a world-class mid. The old ground box never gives me that kind of intimacy but accentuates the highs and extension.

To begin with, my mids isn't solid-state papery lean. I got small tubes in the audio chain. Tubes are a lovely colouration as opposed to stone-cold solid-state, hands down. Three ground boxes, they got my background darker. But the diminishing return is nonetheless evidenced with the following addition, I'm afraid.

Why new ground box is superior? It must be the single run cable for grounding, minimum connectors. It's my belief that the more connectors along in the chain, the greater sonic degradation regardless of the quality of connectors. Connectors are bad but we can not do without them. The signal passes through from the connectors to the solder that holds the cable, to the solder and of course, the connector again at the other end. Signal contaminations. That's why I prefer not to have my amp modified to IEC socket to allows third party power cord. In addition, my speakers are highly efficient. My primary concern is to preserve signal integrity. As you can see, my belief goes against the mainstream, the latter triumphs in terms of power and scale for their moderate speaker efficiency, their systems benefit from power. Given many stages of amplification, it works for them. Many have reported silver grounding cables better either copper or silver coated cables, I couldn't confirm this. Sorry.

Ground box is a low cost and high impact solution, heartily recommended. Doing away electrical buzz is a big deal, you will love it.


No comments: