Sunday, October 7, 2012

Resonance control II

Back in time
Frank Power Bank post kinda of upset the sequence of posting, I must say. It is an amazing product that once you have had a taste of it, there is no returning. You would not want to listen without it. Power treatment is always a good investment, it improves on all departments. It sounds like an advertisement if I continue to harp on Power Bank. For your information, firstly, I do not get paid for reviewing anything and secondly I hold a double role, a user and a consumer. These audio gears do not go into the store. Doc Brown, is the time machine ready? Send me one month back in time to finish my untold stories.

Mpingo disc
Men have started making musical instrumental since the Middle Ages, flute was documented to be the first  musical instrument mankind ever created. History has recorded that the surroundings have great influential over the local cultures and foods. Story has it that people live in the mountain is politic/power prone whilst people live near the sea are business prone. Sea freight is still the preferred transportation for goods. People live near the port have a clear business advantage over mountain people. Mountain people for instance, Genghis Khan was a fighter and ruler, power hungry people. You may verify this theory on your work place too.

Woods were abundant and easy to work with. Different woods have different characters. Over time, guitar, violin, drum etc come.

Ebony is premium. Ebony for audio was made famous by the good people from Shun Mook, loosely translated as Magic Wood. They are made their first pot of gold with Mpingo discs. Knowledge is power, knowledge leads to K-Economy. I could still recall many were happily smitten by Mpingo discs. So good were the Mpingo discs, they seldom appear in pre owned markets.


The literature on Mpingo disc as below
"Mpingo Disc - The Mpingo Disc is invented by the Shun Mook team. It is made from a combination of Gaboon and Mpingo Ebony, treated with a proprietary process that gives the disc a unique property to regulate the resonance of any sonic component and its transmission. Yet this is a very simple them to us. Just place one to three disc on top of your preamp, CD transport, DA converter turntable etc., and listen for the wonderful change in you Hi Fi system, When his disc is excited by any external acoustic energy, it will resonate throughout the entire audible spectrum, thus overriding unwanted harmonic distortions and at the same enriching the musical reproduction."

My jet black Gaboon ebony
If ebony is good for musical instruments, it could not be bad for sound room. I would have sucked dry if I buy Mpingo disc because their prices are not at peace with me. My swallow pocket to be blamed as well. Lady luck has been kind to me that she let me have a block of African Gaboon ebony for a reasonable price, pre cut it into 12 pieces. Each measures 2" length x 2:" width x 1" thick. Almost odourless, the appearance of my Gaboon ebony is almost jet black, good but not premium quality.

Gabon ebony
Jet black Gaboon ebony is of the core of the old tree trunk that grows in the highland. Young Gaboon ebony would have irregular black and brown color. The high density of the Gaboon ebony causes it to sink in the water. Due to slow growth and growing demand, the price of this species has been hiked up.

As from my first hand experience at KF's place, Gaboon ebony raises the height of soundstage. Although, the difference is audible, one piece of ebony is not suffice to spell its magic! No one picks one cent from the ground these days, or even ten cents! Things could be different for a buck.

Wasting no time, I placed one Gaboon ebony right at the dead center of my front wall at a little less than five foot height, that's the height of the projected microphone height. Placing one each to the side from the center piece and I sat myself down and listen. You would want to smack the wicked smile on my face! The effect was apparent, the echoey is remedied somewhat. I would not want a dead ambiance that every live recording sounds studio recording. Nuances are being absorbed. Driven by the positive effect, I affixed them all up on the wall, arriving at the above configuration. The side walls received two and the ceiling received one. Musicians, drum roll.....

Emulsifying process
A droplet hold up to semi sphere when it drops on to high surface tension. This is the best I can come up with pertaining to sound effect of the Gaboon ebony.


Gaboon ebony was akin to increase the surface tension of my wall, resurrecting the images from the nameless wall.

Half face (left), Flat face (right)
Before Gaboon ebony, I got half  and kind of flat face, relatively speaking. After Gaboon ebony, I got full face with three dimensionality.


The highs was as if diamond in the rough, shinier and with a wee bit longer decay. Men look good in suit, a Mont Blanc and a Breguet will add class and gui qi 貴氣 to men. There is a saying in Malaysia, you can violate any law but just do not get caught. In high societies, you wear fake accessories and still get away with  no suspicious. Ladies highlighting high nose, rosy cheek, hot lips, deep V dress and accessorise with some sparkling diamonds make men turn head.

Gaboon ebony gives life to sound by enriching the mids. The mids got a rounded and denser sound, making the voices unbelievably right and any other musical at this range received their fair share of magic too. Enthusiastically, even Gaboon ebony on the power cord will better the sound. This is better than inviting David Footballfield, David Copperfield impersonator to your room.


Holy cow! Gaboon ebony stretches the soundstage too. The stage extended to a foot from my seat, I could reach out and touch it.


Tonal quality is a like the tropics warmth and humid against cool and dry. Men have the essential chestiness to sound muscular while women femininity is intact.

Delicious
The soundstage was panoramic, like a movie experience. Friends told me they are on the same stage with the performers. I hope they lied and that no one would come to challenge me on this. The truth is yes and no, I came to realise that one thing that I do resulted the more forward soundstage.

Audio pilgrimage
Gaboon ebony sets a milestone in my audio pilgrimage. As in the tweaking wilderness, some works, some less effective. Some compliment each other, some go against each others. You will have to choose the combo that is right for you. And that's make audioing interesting because there is no hard and fast rule, everyone can do.


Friends told the changes in sound is unbelievable, this is a double confirmation. The banker also reported similar results for he too have bought Gaboon ebony, albeit with different placements. Everyone has their ways of seeing things, the big direction, I'm quietly doing my own "Oppa Kanasai", the invincible horse ride....

You might also try out the crystal based Stein Music Harmonizer for similar effect. I have no way of telling which is greater but one thing for sure mine is definitely cheaper and zero maintenance. Good luck.