Friday, March 27, 2020

Free time

Effective 18th March, "Movement Restriction Order" comes full enforced. We are asked to stay home and not to social. We are allowed to leave the house for only essential goods and services. This order is to cripple the spread and not to stress the medical resources at a given time. I look at it as a price to avoid Corona virus, it's a cheap price to pay. But some have other thoughts. The liability is his or her alone, I'm fine with that. Spreading the virus, that's utterly irresponsible. It might lead to fatality and the loss of the loved ones. This is ignorance.

Nothing is worse than psychological impacts during this difficult time, the feeling of our freedom is taken away despite no shortage of food, entertainment and sleep. The halted business activities have nevertheless caused a strain on the breadwinners. Young stubborn adults have little to worry about, they wanted to go down the streets. Perhaps, you don't get to meet friends, go to your favourite restaurants and live a normal life is depressing. This is a time for reflection, a time for family bonding, a time to be with yourself for a good cause.

I turned my freed time to writing because it makes me thinking. To think about where I can go with my audio. Free time is the mother of all problems, transforming a thought to action. Great ideas come from this way. Now, I've received a new inspiration, I never run out of funny ideas. Placed my order and expect it to arrive within a week. You know what they say, no pain, no gain. We shall see.

Of listening intelligence, Kees Bakels conducts Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra 2005 recording reveals to me that MPO's string section is pale comparably to top orchestras. I don't hear the silkiness and those of others. But MPO has much improved from 2005, 15 years later. I admired Kees Bakels's masterful conducting, his imposing an iron grip on the orchestra. None of the loose and hollow organization I get from younger conductors, the eventful flow and concise content spells the calibre of the conductor's. I learn new things with each listening.

I must confess my guilt of misjudging old recordings. I thought they're undetailed. But it turns out it's my past incapable of producing more detail than desired. A good system can churn out a vast quantity of details out from old recordings. I like AAD and ADD recording format for the analogue-ness, the continuity of sound even in digital format. Detail is not everything. 

Many audiophiles love female voices, I found comfort in James Taylor, Don Williams, Elton John, Simon Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens and the likes. Their voices packed with emotions, it's their voices we listen, not songs. not sure if you agreed with me on this. Artists like Sting and Rod Stewart have a very recognizable voice, their die-hard fans follow them where ever they go. Very little surprises with their works, I mean their songs are rather similar in delivery. Expect no surprises.

    




No comments: