Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Request to audition


I still get people request for audition since I retired my previous blog. People asked me to blog again. Some enjoy my blog, on the other hand some get hurt with the things I write! I must have been outspoken for either I write things that the folks do not like or hit the nail right on the head. My identity is pretty much unknown, that's a good thing. I could still sneak around in the crowd and get to listen to gossip, like an undercover. They got curious, who the hell is the fella?


The truth is I did not even tell my close friends of this blog. My lips zipped tight. I do not want this blog to be known. Worst of all, those had listened do nothing more but only to add mystery about me.

In order to stay out of trouble, I reject visits and reduce exposure. I do not know about elsewhere, most of the local audiophiles possess fault finding mentality to the maximum, they seek bone in eggs. Yours could not possibly sound good as mine? And knowing Asians, they tried to be a good guest but beat around the bush telling otherwise, hardly honest. Of course, there are some with integrity and consistent. Body language tells me things that the guests aren't telling. Save your breath asking for their opinions, at most, they will tell you good, good, good in your face that is of course if you insist and poi, poi, poi (spit) behind your back. It hurts.


Why bother opening door? Not more than 30 persons have listened to my system, the number stops there. I tuned my system to please me, the way I think is right. As I listen to wide genre of music, I tuned it to be an all rounder, not particular well on one genre of music and worst on the other. This deficiency here will only reveal imbalanced sounding.

Speakers that don't do pop and jazz well, dip in midbass and lacks of dynamic.
Speakers that don't do classical well, lots of peak and valley. Imbalanced.
Speakers that don't do female vocal well, slump in upper mid and mid.
Speakers that don't do male vocal well, valley in upper bass.


Of course, source, amp and cable constitute to the overall sound but speaker character will have a prominant say in a system of how it sounds. Planar sounds Planar, Open Baffle sounds Open Baffle, Horn sounds horn, Box speaker sounds box speaker. The challenge here is to drive them to their potential. We are not living on borrowed time, it should be clear as a gong.

Glowing reviews pump everyone. Hold on, you must read within the lines since most review is good to excellent. Furthermore, every one listens differently and people have different sonic priorities. What works for you might be a poison to others, what more a cult. So, the thrill stops there. Internet direct sales of no guaranteed return and refund is a risky purchase. I am sad to say this sale policy will not work in this part of the world. Local audiophiles take full advantages of it. They are not genuine buyer, they just want to play with the product within the time allowed for sake of fun. This is common among the Asian students in the States, they give a bad name to Asia.

Knowing the reviewer preference is critical to validate the review. Get a mini compo system if you are not serious. No one will care and comment how they sound. Leave me alone.



No comments: