Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Harmoniser in action


Earth pulse
Schumann resonance, the link is an excellent write up, care for a read? Earth cavity produces very specific pulsations, an earth pulse of 7.83 Hz. NASA came up with the calculation. The scientists discovered that indeed there is a correlation between Schumann Resonance and brain rhythms, a deeper states of consciousness. Hence, all living things maintain good biological health if their brain electromagnet waves synchronize with earth pulse, 7.83Hz and the related frequencies power factor to 7.83, it goes on as to 13.7, 19.6, 25.5, 31.4, 37.3 and 43.2Hz.

Don't ask me
This subject, earth pulse is too heavy for my uneducated brain to explain. Hence, I will not try to explain what is already not completely understood by me. What and how this earth pulse things affect our audio is the matter I would like share with you folks using my set of ears. I do not have the best set of ears but chances are you will hear what I hear.

DIY unit
Housed in a PVC casing of 155mm x 110mm x 45mm, it weights less than 200gm. this harmoniser is a passive component that radiates 7.83Hz resonance. Powered via 12V DC via adaptor, no indicator light on the box itself. You need to peep through to the air ventilation hole of the box to see if there a red bulb lighting. Not commercially available, I just got lucky able to get three. This thing induces a deeper relaxation that will to put you to sleep!!!

The harmoniser works better than sleeping pills. Using one in my bedroom, guess what? I sleep like a baby, my wife complained that it gives her headache. It goes to say, different individual responds to things differently. The irrelevance stops once you turn your audio on.
chances are you will hear what I hear
Like an ioniser machine, you feel a breeze of fresh air akin to the air near waterfall or lightning, you smell something reminiscent of chlorine. You do feel immediate changes in the ambiance when this harmoniser is on. It is difficult to describe with my limited vocabulary. More about harmoniser later.


I was advised that two is ideal and two it is. Strange enough, I feel like I am in a dark mines under the earth, stuffy. It was an eerie experience. The first emanating of sound wave sounded vastly different. To avoid concluding hastily, I took time to digest by revisiting some familiar CD and turn on and off repeatedly to reaffirm my assessment.

Works best on hard surface
Track after track I play, slowly and surely, I noticed there is a change in sound quality whilst the timbre largely remained unchanged. I started with two harmonisers in my small sound room and found two is too many of good thing. I felt "suffocated", uneasy and heavier chest in 10 minutes. Moving further away reduces the uneasiness. More is needed for a bigger room. I know someone is using 5 units in a 20' x 28' x 11' room, and I feel normal in that room.

I started experimenting the positioning of the harmonizer. I tried left and right, front and back positioning, placing them side by side at the plane of the speakers. The size of the room and the distance the harmoniser to the seating arouse different degree of uneasiness. In the end, I placed the harmoniser down the middle close to the front wall which is about 12 feet from my seating. The following report is based as per se.


Playing the excellent Jack Johnson's Sleep through The Static folk pop album,  I'd describe in one word "organic". I like the live ambiance as opposed to studio recording. This album is recorded via solar power, I have no idea if it will sound cleaner. Guess what? This album is mastered is by Bernie Grundman, you can expect a certain quality to it. Studio recording is too clean and too dead for its own good. This particular album is relatively uncompressed except a little at the kick drum.

The difference between hi end and mass market speakers is sound quality, timbre and texture. What I gathered is the harmoniser transforms goose bumps texture to normal skin texture, less hairy, less char, applied a smoother texture. As if a gush of fresh air cleansing the unwelcoming sonic fog, the harmoniser removes the fog that I did not know it exist, I thought I have removed those nasty fog long time ago, shame on me!!!! The harmoniser consistently lets you hear more into the recording. Jack's resonating of strings, acoustic guitar and the ushering of decay is breath taking. What more to ask? The vocal was clear and articulate. The slight huskiness of Jack's vocal is reserved. I could hear the tape splicing of this album.

The presentation was more effortless. You do know, effortlessness does not come by easily. The unhurried quality is to be heard to appreciate. I heard that from vintage speakers and vintage low power electronics, not mass market gears. It is a statement of finesse. No, not in the expense of dynamic. Micro and macro dynamic are intact.


The bass ranged from 100Hz downward benefited the most out from the harmoniser. Whilst the highs and mid sounded nimble, the bass received a make over. The harmoniser accorded a certain degree of fullness and extension to the bass. It adds weight and scale. Turn it back on, the extension is restored. The plucking of double bass is snappier than before, the pumpkin bass has been revitalised. A new found bounciness, the Q-ness like silicone elasticity.This is indeed a good news to bass deficient system. But knowing audiophiles, they will never have enough with bass. The more the merrier.

The harmoniser renders a more airy and spacious presentation. Light off, the soundstage is perceived to be extended beyond the concrete walls. I prefer light off for all electrical appliances generate EMI and recycle back into the power. The culprit, EMI is the mother of nuisance, get rid of this promises a new level audio elevation.

The banker facial reaction
You might doubt I make thing up, the shrewd door guy called me early in the morning says to cross check his experience. He wanted two more. The high spirited banker was cursed by the harmoniser, expressed a funny facial expression - raises eyebrows, popped eyes, rounding lips and in state of ecstasy. I bet he could not recall his name at that moment. Even the contended KF also jumped and wanted one after 10 seconds into the music. As I always say KF is very geng (good). He will fall asleep and snore if he did not like what he hears.
No eye candy, listen without prejudice

The harmoniser is one important component in my audio must have list, it stays there. NOBODY TOUCHES THEM unless I say so.



No comments: